Friday, April 13, 2012

Waiting

I recently read an article about the virtue of patience, how it is more aptly defined as "waiting without complaint."  Personally, I don't like to wait.  In this fast paced world of instant gratification, I too, want it right now.  The waiting in and of itself is sometimes a daunting task, but to do it without complaint?  Admittedly, I struggle.  The Lord is still working on me, and I have the distinct feeling that I will continue waiting until I reach the point He has in mind.  As I wait, it is amazing that every scripture, or random interaction with strangers seems to come directly from His hand.  He, of course, always has a plan and knows exactly what I need. 

So, I've concluded that the waiting, especially without complaint, is only possible with a strong measure of faith.  You must know and believe that it will get better.  You must understand that the unhappy circumstances build character in ways only hardship can.  I have never appreciated the simple act of breathing more than after a respiratory infection, or walking more than after a broken foot healed.  I am a stubborn, strong-willed person who frequently must learn my lessons the hard way, or maybe earn them is a better term.  I have much to learn, or earn, yet.  But, I know that the things coming to pass are being forged into my character like iron and steel. 

For the past several months, I've been doing a tremendous amount of work on my property.  The neighbors jokingly ask if I ever stop.  The trees in my recently planted orchard only look like sticks at the moment, but someday they will feed my family.  My garden by the creek already has it's benches, arch, and pathways.  Though today it is only dirt, by the end of the season it will be filled with beautiful medicinal herbs and flowers.  I am laying the foundation for what is to come. 

Carrying river rocks to surround my newly built bridge in the woods, I began to consider how they were made.  How many times did the water have to run over and around each one to shape that smooth stone?  How long did that take?  I also thought about how much pressure is required to form a diamond.  It takes the pressure and heat to create such a beautiful thing.  Aren't we all just diamonds in the rough?  Some of us may be further along in the process than others, but we could all use to have our edges smoothed out.  I hope this day finds each of you keeping life in perspective, no matter your circumstances.  Work through it, and wait without complaint, so that someday we may all shine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment